Change
After much consideration, I have decided to change. I was loyal to Xanga for a long time because of the blogring issue. Now that I've discovered the convenience of posting up pics on this site, I've finally decided to move for good. Welcome to my new site!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So what have I been up to these hols?
Books I read this holiday season:
1. Rice Bowl by Suchen Christine Lim
5. In Her Shoes by Jennifer Weiner
6. Twelve Red Herrings by Jeffrey Archer
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So what have I been up to these hols?
Books I read this holiday season:
1. Rice Bowl by Suchen Christine Lim
- Not bad considering it was written by an Asian author, Singaporean to be precise. I tend to buy books as such because I'm curious to see what kind of Asian talent exists out there as well as an attempt to be supportive the local scene. But I found myself having to self-psych in order to get to the final chapters of the book. A tad disappointing, unfortunately.
- Fiction on family relationships by a Christian author. I didn't know what kind of book it was when I bought it. Caught me pleasantly surprised. Overall, not too predictable a plot. Happy ending, of course. The feel-good factor was definitely there.
3. Water Lily by Susanna Jones
- Bought it because it was regarding cross-cultural assimilation. But it was too vague and slow-paced for my liking. Good thing it was less than 300 pages, otherwise I'd have to motivate myself to finish it.
- Ahh, truly an excellent book. Psychological thriller. Got it as a birthday present. You should only read this book if you are prepared to read through intense emotional upheavals and aggressive expression. Albeit, in my humble opinion, it would have done much better without the countless vulgarities, I can see why the author deemed it necessary to do so. The 980 pages were every worth my time.
5. In Her Shoes by Jennifer Weiner
- So-so only. Also got it as a birthday present. I thought it would be a light, easy and entertaining book. I had to skip through some pages in order to finish, somehow promising to read through those pages later (I doubt that will ever happen). However, I find that some of these contemporary authors are lacking in something. I just can't seem to pin it down. Nevertheless, some females out there might like it.
6. Twelve Red Herrings by Jeffrey Archer
- My first Archer book. So I didn't have too high an expectation. Yes Val, I finally read this one. Not too bad but only because it consisted of short stories. I don't know if I'll survive reading an entire book or not. I somehow still prefer Grisham. Maybe I'm biased. =)

gosh, u read so many books... when u wana go out?
Posted by
siah |
3:59 PM
Let's make it this Thursday night? But my parents trying to keep me home since the haze so bad. Unless it's indoors la. Are you totally free already? Let me know
Posted by
Serena |
10:55 PM
Post a Comment