On Being Single
For the past weeks, I've been bombarded more than ever before about my status. For instance, on the first day of college, an admin staff asked me if I was single. When I replied in the affirmative, she was surprised. On another day, one of my tuition students asked me why I was single. I said, I don't know why either. On another occasion, another of my CG members seriously asked me why I was single. Again, I said that I don't know. Last night at mamak, a particular group of friends kept on interrogating me on my non-existent love life. This morning in fact, a particular senior leader kept on nudging me in the direction of another particular fellow YC leader. And all these while, I am like, "Huh?!"
I definitely can't imagine spending the rest of my life as a solo instead of a duo. However, I think I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that life isn't entirely all about BGR or marriage. Of course, many people out there would opine that I'm only saying so simply because there is no one in the picture right now. But seriously, I realize that I've been so wrong in thinking that life would only be fulfilling if there was a man in my life. So then, what is to become of me until then? Half-fulfilled or not even fulfilled at all?
Those who know me well know how much I do want to start a family one fine day. I dream of building a household with my future husband. But as for now, I'm not in a hurry (although people around me remind all the time that my age is slowly but surely adding up with each passing hour).
I even have good friends who've tried to be helpful in matchmaking me with prospective males. Even my own lecturer is scheming against me and having something up her sleeves concerning a particular male in my college.
It's not that I'm complaining. But if and when the timing is right, I believe it will eventually happen. Contrary to the popular myth that psychologists can read peoples' minds, I certainly can't. Neither am I a soothsayer. I am merely a single student, with lots of rough edges. Hopefully, one day that special someone would be able to accept me, rough edges and all (and vice-versa); by us being together, we'll smoothen each other out.
All in all, no pressure on me, though. Life may be difficult but it's amazing at the moment and so I'm savoring every bit of it.
I definitely can't imagine spending the rest of my life as a solo instead of a duo. However, I think I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that life isn't entirely all about BGR or marriage. Of course, many people out there would opine that I'm only saying so simply because there is no one in the picture right now. But seriously, I realize that I've been so wrong in thinking that life would only be fulfilling if there was a man in my life. So then, what is to become of me until then? Half-fulfilled or not even fulfilled at all?
Those who know me well know how much I do want to start a family one fine day. I dream of building a household with my future husband. But as for now, I'm not in a hurry (although people around me remind all the time that my age is slowly but surely adding up with each passing hour).
I even have good friends who've tried to be helpful in matchmaking me with prospective males. Even my own lecturer is scheming against me and having something up her sleeves concerning a particular male in my college.
It's not that I'm complaining. But if and when the timing is right, I believe it will eventually happen. Contrary to the popular myth that psychologists can read peoples' minds, I certainly can't. Neither am I a soothsayer. I am merely a single student, with lots of rough edges. Hopefully, one day that special someone would be able to accept me, rough edges and all (and vice-versa); by us being together, we'll smoothen each other out.
All in all, no pressure on me, though. Life may be difficult but it's amazing at the moment and so I'm savoring every bit of it.

I think your selflessness, and your willingness to challenge your own insecurities and get out of your comfort zone makes you an awesome catch! So it's all those lifeless fellers who have left you single thus far that are losing out :)
Posted by
Anonymous |
9:21 PM
hahahaha no wonder you turn to matchmaking...stop giving me the eye brows...hahahahahahha... :D
i never really like to think about things although i think about it half the time....quite depressing
Posted by
Anonymous |
9:29 PM
I can comprehend what you're going through as I get that a lot as well. Even my own parent pestering to find a girlfriend and asking me why I never go out with a girl before....
I guess we all should learn how to be on our own self only then we can accept another individual to our life ;)
(che wah, I sounded so philosophical :p)
Posted by
Kuan |
3:01 PM
Sigh.. people can never stop being themselves when it comes to BGR. Not to mention, people at home keep thinking that I will be dating someone since i'm overseas. *faints* Then again, haha :D I've just learnt to enjoy singlehood though I am waiting in anticipation for Prince Charming to appear - whosoever it is. Love you heaps Serena... You make me feel human, sane and normal. Missing you heaps! *hugz* Take Care of yourself, and yes I finally experienced what it is like to Surrender everything to Him, tasted the struggle of Focusing on Him - and will be for some time and I guess once in a while until death. Nevertheless, I have found the joys of seeing His beauty and His workmanship, hearing His voice and feeling His embrace.
Keep the faith. Life is all about listening to His Voice every single minute of the day - trying to at least cos it's almost impossible. C U Soon.
Posted by
Amkayell |
5:14 PM
Poor girl :P Have you ever read "Emma" (by Jane Austen)? Kinda reminds me of that. Oh well, as you "kind of" said, life marches on. God bless! Becky.
Posted by
Anonymous |
10:54 PM
anon, is that you John? start identifying yourself!
darren: it's only depressing when you start to focus on the negative aspects. otherwise, leave plenty of room for dreaming and believing. =)
Kuan: hey, you joined the gym too! Nicky (don't know how to spell her name) told me you were there early this morning. and yes, since when were you so philosophical? ;)
Mel: Thanks for your thoughts and your heart-felt words. Appreciate them truly. Missing you too. Without you, there's one less person to hug and that sure is a huge loss to me! =(
Becky: Yah, read the book some time back. Kinda liked it. So hopefully (actually, why do I need to use this word? Need i doubt anymore when it comes to God's plan for me? sheesh...hehe),there's a happy ending for me in it too. =)
Posted by
Serena |
11:10 PM
21 is still young no?
Posted by
m |
3:18 AM
wow, that was a good guess :)
Posted by
Anonymous |
7:18 PM
very well writen Serena
Posted by
Dickie |
11:54 PM
Hey chica!
Definitely agree with you......we don't have to wait for our supposed 'other half' to come along to make our lives more fulfilled.......
I guess we have been brought up to believe that we cannot be truly happy if we don't find that someone.....
You go girl!!! ;)
Posted by
Anonymous |
7:24 AM
Post a Comment