« Home | One for the album » | Change » | 100 Things About Me »

Wednesday in Writing

Ahh. What a long day but it feels good to be home.

A.M.
Woke up at 7am in order to make it in time for my 2nd brother's convocation in Universiti Malaya. He was conferred the Masters degree in Economics. This is the 2nd time I'm attending his convocation. The first time was at HELP. Kinda looking forward to my own one in time to come (a long time, that is).

I was quite impressed with the smoothness of the overall ceremony albeit it took a little over 4 hours to hand over the scrolls to the 800++ Masters graduates today. (By the way, there was only one miserable person who received a Masters in Psychology. Kinda sad. But then again, UM is not famous for its Psych programs. UKM is the place to be for that.) I was also fascinated by the large number of people who took opportunity of the time in the Dewan Tunku Cansellor to catch up on napping. Thank God no audible snoring was within reach of my ears or else I would have ended up in stitches of laughter. Not to mention the number of people who were busy flipping through newspapers. Tsk tsk tsk.

Furthermore, what irked me the most was the fact that there was almost no traffic control after the event, leaving thousands of earthlings to smell each other's armpits, in addition to the already suffocating haze that was hovering in the atmosphere. Worse still, my poor mum wasn't allowed to use the nearest toilet simply because she was plainly told by some security guard, "Kita (UM's authorities) nak kosongkan dewan", although hers was an emergency. We were barely 5 feet away from the blinking door, for goodness' sake!

She was simply told to walk all the way to the next building and chance upon a toilet there. Now, those of you who have been into the UM campus know how huge the area is and some of the buildings are located quite a distance from one another. Not to mention the human jam that was existing with everyone literally breathing down each other's necks. Thank God, my mum could hold on. Phew.

Nevertheless, it was an event worth attending. Did I mention that I had to sneak in because they only provided 2 entrance tickets (which were given to my darling parents, of course)? Amazingly, they checked the people in front of me and behind me but failed to check for my ticket as I was walking in through the front gates. Thank God! =) My, I am so proud of my bro. He finally finished it and self-financed himself through it all too. Congrats, Yi Kor!




P.M.
Met up with 3 ex-Assuntarians - all medic students. I was trying to do a headcount and I realized that almost 50% of my form 5 classmates ended up pursuing medicine. Looking back, I think I've finally gotten over the fact that I am not doing likewise today. I wanted to do medic so much because I thought that there weren't enough female doctors out there in addition to wanting to dedicate my life to saving lives, becoming a missionary doctor to India or something like that, etc. However, looks like God has a different plan for me, altogether.

As we were chatting, I realized that their entire lives are currently consumed with their studies (including the very interesting love affairs that go on among medic students! hehe...). I'm not sure if I can handle that; some more, I ended up hating Bio in form 6. I can only thank God today that I'm not walking down that path because I honestly don't think I could have handled it and neither would I have been happy, with having to study so much all the time. And so, I have this load finally off my shoulders for good. =)

In hindsight, I may have gone through some really tough and difficult past 3 years, but I sure am glad that I am right where I should be now and placed there with a purpose.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note, those who commented on the 100 things I wrote about myself, please realize that it was written almost a year ago. Some of those descriptions no longer apply today. But thank you for your huge effort of screening through that ridiculously long list. If I am ever too free, I shall endeavour to redo the list. Haha....

Books currently reading:
1. Mindgame
2. Northanger Abbey
3. The Heavenly Man

Yah, I have this bad (or good, you decide) habit of reading books of different genre at once. It seems more exciting that way. =)

which sch were u in for form6?assunta doesn't offer science subjects for form6 do they?o.O n ur bro's convo is worth congratulating =) i oso look forward to my convo.....haha..tho i havent stated my degree =P
PS:we were dorm buddies during d FGA church camp 2004..hope u rmb me!~

Hi Hwei Thieng! long time no see! I did it in Bkt Bintang. =( Haha...as you can see...i don't have very many good things to say about my experience there.

ohhh..BB haha..bz watching d boyz laa lol....wad u mean by not many good things wor?haha..if me ar,i wudn't have nething to say coz i cant rmb hahaha..xcept mebbe i got to meet a few good frens there =)
form6 cant be tt bad rite?

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Serena
  • From Malaysia
  • Currently Reading The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer, The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman, The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.
My profile

Links