« Home | Trusty mates » | Appreciation » | My weekend » | CF » | The 30-day challenge » | The goodness that still exists » | Vanity oh vanity... » | A Choice » | Comrade-in-arm » | Our Commitment »

A Tuesday Adventure

Ever had a day that started out extremely stressful only to have everything turn out fine?

I did.

Got up early this morning to accompany a friend for a medical check-up at a public (a.k.a. government-funded) hospital. Thanks to me, we were 20 minutes late.

And that 20 minutes costed us a lot of extra 20 minutes.

We waited for 3 hours (equivalent to 9 x 20 minutes).

You see, the truth is, I had gone with an open mind. Honestly, I went without any expectations or preconceived ideas whatsoever of what to expect. But lo and behold, I was in for a shocker. The horrible stories I had heard suddenly became alive and I was greeted with what can only be termed as "gross human treatment", IMHO. Hopefully, I am the only one here who has had to undergo such an experience.

I was horrified by the way some of the nurses and admin staff treated the patients. It was apparent that these were definitely a bunch of underpaid, demotivated and bitter people because they couldn't find it anywhere in their heart to give even the slightest smile. I'm sorry, I don't mean to generalize but this is painting the truth of the actual condition of this particular hospital that I went to this morning. And these are already sick people that they're dealing with. I mean, these patients are already feeling so under the weather and low in spirit, how hard can it be to just attempt to be nice?

Worse still, is the hospital environment. There was a dire need for proper and readable signages and directions. Partly why we were late was because we had lost our way in that strange place. We asked at least 4 different people - nurses, admin staff, doctors and whomsoever was wearing the hospital tag - for directions. NONE could point us in the correct way of the particular clinic that we were headed towards. Trust me, it was a common clinic. We ran to and from the hallway like mad fools, searching high and low for a sign. Anything to tell us where to go.


Finally, out of the corner of my eye, a little faded and ancient-looking paper caught my attention. It was simply a replica of a typical map that constructors would have, just that it was coloured with colour pencils (perhaps with the intention of making it look pretty). Barely visible and whatever that was visible, was incomprehensible. How disappointing.

I don't even want to rant a whole lot about the waiting room area. It would be way too tiring. Even the memory of the place is exhausting me at the moment. Basically, in 1 sentence - stuffy, noisy, densely-populated, cramped furniture arrangement, superloud automated machines going off every 5 seconds, silly, cheap-productionTV programs played for kids (when the waiting area had anyone but kids), grumpy admin staff shouting out a name every once in a while, weird but foul smells (which originate from anything but medicinal chemicals), etc. You picture the worst kind of environment a poor and sickly patient could wait in, you've got it.

Nevertheless, thank God for a great doctor! He took the time to ask extensive questions and attended to my dear friend with diligent care and concern. I was very impressed with his professionalism. Nevermind that he didn't really have such a great sense of fashion. At least, that made me laugh for the first time this morning. =) Nicest fellow in the entire place.

Don't even ask me about the paying and the collection of medication procedure. Let's put it this way: if you can't read, you would still survive because there aren't any signages whatsoever, instructing you what to do. However, even the slightest common sense may not really help you. It's more of a trial and error basis. You try queuing in one line and if you're in the wrong lane, you'll find out just about at the end. You can try asking the other patients; if you're fortunate, you'll talk to someone who actually knows what's going on. Thank God I followed my heart and hit the jackpot on the first try.

It pains my heart. Really. I don't want to just complain. If there's anything I can do about the condition of public hospitals in the future, trust me that I would do everything in my will to make the whole process a pleasant and at least, a welcoming one.

.....................

On a brighter note,

the 3 hours waiting proved to be quite fruitful because I managed to play Sudoku at least 4 times, finished a 5-page essay and read a few chapters of Psalms. Plus, I started to design my own hospital in my head. So my creative-thinking cells got some workout there. And, I survived the morning without any coffee. So that's an achievement!

After the entire morning was gone, I rushed to uni in the torrent of this afternoon's shower. I assure you I was nearly on the brink of flying on flooded roads. Why? My lecturer has a policy of locking the doors after he comes in. And if you miss class, you'll be deducted 2% of your final grade (which is a lot in my course).

I was 15 minutes late. Guess what? God heard my desperate cries of stalling the lecturer. Of all days, he was late today. Amazing.

Later on, I received an SMS from my eldest bro, informing me that the risky operation that my 79-year old gramma underwent this morning to remove a lump from her breast, was successful! Thank You, Lord! That in itself was a miracle because just a few days prior to the op, the doc had warned us that she might have a heart failure doing the op because of her health conditions. Not only did the op go smoothly, she was out, awake and jolly not long after! Can't wait to see her later tonight.

Thank You, God for today.


I think I'm going to say a prayer for all the medical staff,admin staff and patients who have to endure such a picture everyday, whenever I do remember.

serena,

glad to hear that the op went well for ur grandma! praise God!soon,she'll be back in action!

-val-

Hey gal!

I am back! My puter was down for like 10 days and I suffered big time hacing to redo most of my missing datas. Argh! But one thing I missed the most is reading your blog! Didn't see your chatterbox. What happened to it?

Cmate

val: hey! i really missed u la...next time go away must tell me la. thot you got kidnapped. haha...yah, thank God it went smoothly. was so worried there.

Gina: heya...no wonder u haven't been here. =) how's everything? finished work already? whn are your hols agn? mine's in 2 weeks'! yay!

Hey Serena!!

According to my schedule, my classes will end in 2 weeks' time too! Yahoo! We go holidays together la. And visit Aunty Poh Lin too! It's been months since I last saw her.

Received a phone call from a company today. They require me of my resume because they are considering whether to hire me or not. Thank God I got it all done. Sent to them already. Now just have to pray that if the job was meant to be mine, it will be mine.

Been reading your previous posts. Just wanna let you know I am keeping you in prayer!

Love ya much!

wow! CONGRATS!!! isn't that amazing? thanks for your prayers, dear. MUAX!

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Serena
  • From Malaysia
  • Currently Reading The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer, The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman, The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.
My profile

Links