« Home | The goodness that still exists » | Vanity oh vanity... » | A Choice » | Comrade-in-arm » | Our Commitment » | How virtuous can you be? » | The only TEST that matters... » | Best April's Fool » | Nothing like popsicle on a hot day! =) » | Birthday Boy »

The 30-day challenge

Confessions of a workaholic:

Hahaha.

Many who read this post will probably scorn at what I am going to challenge myself to do.

But thanks to the gentle wake-up call by my dear friend, Miss J, who sounded so alarmed at how much I've aged considerably since the last time she saw me, I shall take heed of The Warning. No, I am not going to use make-up to cover up. Although, I must say that I have tried but failed miserably. Tired means tired la. It's a red alert by my body.

I am terribly ashamed to say how I abuse my body by depriving it of sleep. Even on holidays, I sleep less than 6 hours. I have just been bad, bad, bad. Sigh.

Come to think of it, how different am I from a person who smokes or abuses drugs? Who am I to judge them? I am intentionally putting my body through constant torture every single day by not doing the absolute essential - rest. I think the next time I meet a smoker friend, I shall give him/her a friendly hug, instead.

Sure, I do rest, but not enough and definitely not even meeting the basic requirement of a human being. And I say intentional because I could choose to do less things. I could say NO. It's not like I would be put in jail if I did less of some things. Even the nonsense stuff...like being hooked on the Internet and reading blogs. Haha... My friend, Ms. T, proclaimed that I was an Internet addict and it really hit me just how much time I spend online every single day. Another friend, Mr. D put it simply, "Serena, you LIVE online la..".

But with the impending final exams just around the corner, one would feel foolish to carry out some drastic lifestyle changes. But, I think I am deeply convicted this time. Not so much that I am being vain (well, I am to a certain extent...don't bother to justify here...haha), but rather that I think I need to do this for myself and for the significant others in my life. There are countless times where my dear ones have been at the receiving end of my grouchiness due to lack of sleep. There have only been too many times where I had forgotten what it felt like to just sit down and have a simple meal with my family, without worrying about what I'd need to do next.

And so, for the next 30 days, I am going to challenge myself to:
sleep at least 7 hours everyday.

Sounds fairly easy to most people, but what a daunting task for me. And yes, Mr. J Sam, we'll see how more sleep would benefit me this time around. I'd probably need to count on more saving grace than ever. =)

Already the thought of it sounds impossible to me, knowing how I take my health and sleep for granted ever so often. And being able to sleep at least 7 hours only means that I'd have to drastically readjust my schedule. It simply means that I need to start doing stuff EARLY and not procrastinate. Since finals are in 2 weeks, I don't think that leaves me a lot of space to start early anymore, but let's see how it goes. I'll just take one step at a time la. And pat myself on the back ever so often.

Oh, did I tell you that today is a public holiday over here in Malaysia? Whoopee doo dah! What an excellent day to launch this personal sleep campaign.

This little sleep-deprived soul shall be reporting to you AFTER the 30-day challenge is up.

Turrah! =)

(*winks at Christophe*)

You think you look tired and old without makeup? White girls cannot step out of their house without make up. I am not making this up.

i totally agree with Ephez! All the bast taking on this challenge! I'm sure u've 'appointed' ppl to keep u on track but just in case u need another person, I'm just a call away! hehe.

hahaha hey! you use the expression whoo pee do dah too? it rocks! lolz I too live online sigh...

ephez: thanks. but i think u should give them more credit la. isn't the grass always greener on the other side? when you were here, i'm sure you couldn't wait to see girls over there. =)

navee: sure! already today in college i got a few ppl checkin up on me. haha.... feel so loved! =)

mei: its one of the nicest expressions i know! makes me feel all happy, warm & fuzzy inside. =)

7 hours..... in finals season.... Isn't that like committing academic suicide?

"More sleep, better complexion, better skin"..rmber that on the way to leader's retreat on the bus when we gals were toking bout sleep?..hehe..way to go gal!

Actually... no. I dunno, white chicks all look the same to me.

dawn: actually, it's the min requirement for an ADULT. =P

oonyow: hah. u call me teacher one more time,i'll ignore u. =P actually, i'd like to see if just a little extra sleep (rather than being deprived all the time) would go a long way in helping my brain to remember stuff. =)

rach: haha..i remember now! but then this sleep challenge is more for me to take care of my brain and body overall. hehe...

ephez: ok. but to me, there is a difference la. maybe, we're (girls) more observant? =P

hehe yea..and the nice complexian! An added bonus to the effort!hehe..keep it up!gd start! =)

rach: haha....yah. thanks! =)

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Serena
  • From Malaysia
  • Currently Reading The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer, The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman, The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.
My profile

Links