Vanity oh vanity...

Less is more.
I think I've said this line more than once. It's only because I believe it.
It's funny how people ask the funniest questions sometimes. "Serena, why?"
My only answer, "People do strange things when they are stressed."
I just had a haircut. Something fairly ordinary that most people do once in a while. But my guess is that it's because I'm female and hence more people notice when I cut my hair. I figured that if I were male, no one would really bother if I cut my hair only because I was expected to do so. Then, if I didn't, it would be considered an issue.
Anyways, I am not here to sound sexist. Just that I find it really fascinating that I get such a huge response every time I decide to pay my hairdresser a visit. It's not like I'm even asking for the attention. Sometimes, I feel like wearing a hat over my hair just so that I do not get such huge reactions. I really feel uncomfortable.
This time, I decided to get it cut shorter than usual. And when I do finally pluck up enough courage someday, I may even dare to go bald (something I've always wanted to do all my life) for once. It's funny how I find it so difficult to not allow my personal opinion be influenced by what others say. You know how we always hear 10 compliments in day but all it takes is for one 1 critism and instantly, that negative comment would overwrite the positive ones. And it's amazing how some of us allow that one mini little negative comment to permanently reside in our minds. I realized this when some time back, my friend, Mr. J, asked me to recall one of the best compliments that I have ever received. And I struggled to answer. That's why I really admire those people who are able to ignore the negative remarks that come their way.
Back to what I was saying. I really am happy with my haircut. Although I must say that it hasn't been easy to receive weird looks from people the moment they say, "Oh, you cut your hair!" and then they struggle to say something not-so-offensive. As they stand there shifting from foot to foot and fidgeting, I offer them help by changing the topic.
So, it doesn't matter that most of my closest buddies all love my hair. It doesn't matter that I, the owner of the black locks on my head, love the sense of liberty and versatility that comes with having short hair. But no, I admit that I am still affected by the negative remarks/response that I have been getting.
And so I've decided to really not be bothered la. I mean, really, you just can't please everyone. You just can't. Something so simple, isn't it? But I can't deny that I do get affected really badly sometimes. But I need to remind myself that I am living as ME and if I'm comfortable in my skin (in this case, in my hair), then I really should just be happy.
Haha...sorry to have to put you all through some self-talk. =)
Enough said, I like my hair the way it is now.
And so, I shall be happy. =)

spunky new photo of the liberated miss in pls :D
Posted by
joyfulglee |
7:47 PM
yes i echo joy.. :)
-laura-
Posted by
Anonymous |
8:09 PM
I shall third that opinion. Is your hair camery shy now?
I cut my hair too. People noticed, but then again i shaved almost bald.
v food blog
http://lilyng2000.blogspot.com/
Posted by
Anonymous |
9:35 PM
ala.. serenaaaaaaa!! :( i dont know how to show a sorry face .. no emoticons here. :( i only acknowledged that you cut your hair because rebecca and lai theng cut theirs too! i just find it very fascinating that three people i know cut their hair in the same weekend. :( :( sorry sorry. i din mean to sound.. whatver it is that i sounded. :(
Posted by
Anonymous |
10:41 PM
haha...arina, you're not who i was talking about la. by the time i bumped into you, already saw a dozen others with mixed reactions. so now worries, dear. no need to apologize! =) and yes, i did notice their haircuts too! coolness! =)
CYi: don't make me jealous that you're almost bald. =P
joy & laura: refer to the pic. =) not spunky la. wait la..when more
daring, shall try to cut short enough to spike it up. after all, i hv a sis-in-law for a role model. hehe....
Posted by
Serena |
11:31 PM
wattttt!!!!
you've lost so much weight AGAIN!!!!!!
(haha.. and you thought my reaction was to your hair *bleah*) It's nice lar.. I will never be able to cut it that short considering my big round face, unlike yours *sniff* and AND my parents will never allow it.
Anyway.. luv luv u soooo muchhheeee...
Laura.
Posted by
Anonymous |
1:32 AM
your hair is just fine. but your face!!!! you look so tired out and overworked. tsk tsk. so young so old so fast. (hah. that should sufficiently scare you for a while. ...unless. you allow makeup to be temporary saviour. i would know. heh.)
Posted by
joyfulglee |
3:56 AM
I shall baldify you in your sleep when i come back.
Posted by
Anonymous |
4:40 PM
and you look pretty, so pretty i misspelled my name.
Posted by
Anonymous |
4:40 PM
serena dear.... love your new cut!!! kekek glad you went for it.. *Hugss
cherie =p
Posted by
Anonymous |
1:39 AM
I couldn't really see how short it is...but u sure do look fresh!
Posted by
andrea |
10:17 AM
SERENA IN!!
u know,yr blog is sooooo active! you always always have comments!! Im soo jealous. Check mine la once in awhile!?!! btw,i like yr haircut!! it looks good.. very uu!!! :) love u serena!!
Posted by
niCciraj |
3:38 PM
whoa, where do i start? =)
laura: it was the angle, i am telling you. i don't think its true since my clothes still fit just the same. so no worries there. =) i think my gramma gave up on me ever being the completely demure and stay-at-home kinda girl long ago. just as she shook her head when she saw that i didn't have longish hair anymore. haha...
joy: as u can see, the warning has been noted. =)
ephez: really ar? haha.... we'll see how successful you get.
cherie dear: you know i couldn't have done it without you. =)
andrea: and I FEEL fresh too. =) yah, it feels nice, alright.
Nicci: nolarr....when you get to my age...people like us have nothing else better to do than to read people's blogs and comment. haha.... i can publicize for you if you want. kekeke....your dad would kill me then. =P and thanks! =)
Posted by
Serena |
7:56 PM
Just gimme your address and i'll even supply the razor and buzz cutter machine thing.
Posted by
Anonymous |
6:41 PM
hahaha. it's ok. thank u very much. =P
Posted by
Serena |
7:50 AM
Post a Comment