« Home | Uncertain steps » | Saving Grace » | Wednesday in Writing » | One for the album » | Change » | 100 Things About Me »

A Monday Adventure

I am starting to think that I am very vulnerable, a.k.a. 'easy to con'. Oh, but I'm improving, I'm improving.

I walked into a gym today, curious to find out about some promotion that was going on. They had a trial offer of 6 weeks at an extremely affordable price (you can trust me on this). I've always wanted to join a gym because I found the dance, pilates and kickboxing classes fascinating. This place even offers salsa classes! Cool! But due to my limited financial resources, I've not been able to feed this personal desire of mine. Hence, the increase in flabbiness and numbers on the weighing scale.

The fitness consultant (basically, a canggih name for a marketing person), Bobby, kindly offered to give me a tour of the place. Yours truly, an ulu person who's never seen the inside walls of a gym before, was very impressed with the facilities available. They were even enthusiastic in giving me a body assessment in order to tell me how fat and unhealthy I was. Too embarrassed to give the figures, let's just say that (according to their standards), with just a few more kgs, I would be bordering on near obesity, in terms of % of body fat. Now, how's that for my self-esteem today?

Thank God I am a person whose monetary resources are strictly controlled by higher authorities and neither owns a money reservoir nor grows a money plant in family backyard; otherwise, I would have signed up immediately. It was that appealing. But I'm still gamed for the trial offer though. If I can persuade my gal friend to go with me, I'll go for sure.

But this whole experience just got me thinking. Working out in the gym has become the next in thing, especially in the recent years. By the way, did I mention that in the short duration that I was in that place, I saw many gorgeous, hunky men around? Which of course didn't bother me one bit. Anyway, back to what I was saying before I got distracted by the previous unnecessary statement... *grin*

People are just so consumed with how they look today. Me included, unfortunately. I, too, have been suckered into this world of crazy expectations and standards of beauty. Most people wouldn't consider me overweight or even horizontally challenged in any way. But by these people's standards, I needed to lose at least 4 kgs. I know most of you would think that that was just their strategy of getting people to join their fitness centre.

But still, I can't help thinking that this is the reality of the situation. I can, of course, go on living life the way I am, with occasionally doing some exercise outdoors and indoors, yet feel as if I'm never really going to look fit, what with a bulging tummy and a 'flabby everywhere' look. More and more people are willing to pay and spend so much of their time, just to look fit, toned, and basically, good (by society's standards). After all, Bobby (in his china-pek tone) did say that, "...with your body, Serena, you need to spend a lot of time doing 60% cardio and 40% weight-training. Ahh, you can use this machine and that machine....burns the most calories one...". He didn't spare me one bit. He studied and scrutinized me from head to toe. Not once. Not twice. Many times.

People who can afford it, always have it easy. They can pay for these fitness centres without a second thought, or they could always opt for the easiest way out - slimming treatment. They can even afford all the healthy food, which actually cost a bomb. It's so much cheaper to be unhealthy. And there are, of course, the people who simply don't care. Unfortunately for me, I do care. A lot.

Verdict? I'm obviously not going to join the gym for good. But I don't mind paying that slight minimum fee for that trial offer for 6 weeks. My bro was so ok with it. If if bro #1 says yes, that means yes. =) After all, they have a nice swimming pool, sauna, steam bath, jacuzzi and all the other canggih facilities. Don't forget, the gorgeous, hunky men.

lol... i wouldn say joinin a gym is a bad thing since well, if u r persistent enough, u will not only look good, u'll feel and sleep better. more healthy i can say. mom been buggin me to go since she says i'm underweight. well, obviously i told her i dont want cos money and dicipline are involved. which both criteria aso i'm too lazy to bother with now. wait till i start working lar.=) if u get a friend to go with u then go ahead lar. since u might hook up with some rich hunky man then prob u can go for free. lol.

Same situastion here..eh gal!wat gym is that..sounds interesting tho..I'm also looking out for a gym la.Sumwhere affordable.

Haha...it's a trend for uni students here as well. Me, I'm too lazy ('tis the same reason I'd probably not be heading to my Med Ball :P), and generally, even rich people need to watch where they put their money (it's rich people's kids who splash money around *snicker*). And my goodness, my dear, you're nowhere near obesity. Just visit any Western country and you'd be convinced once and for all-don't trust the glossy magazines! The only reason thoughts of joining a gym pops into my head now and then (only then, mind you) is my declining stamina and fitness (it's quite sad, really). But it should be fun lah - tell us how you go! - Becky.

P.S. I forgot to mention: another way you could get that "starved look" is to be a petani's wife. :P It fascinates me that the richest people can sometimes looked like the poorest people of the world, just that their rags have labels on them and cameras snap their every move. Yeah, I'm pretty cynical, sorry. -Becky.

Join the GYM!!...i think of it as a PLAYGROUND for us..since we will look like fools if we play in an actual playground...=(...
HUNKY GUYS N A HOT BODY for the result!! Go for it..
GYM,serena's on her way!

haha.. I would join the gym for reasons really the opposite of yours, serena. My mum has in fact agreed to sponsor me. i'll be signing up soon - only rm400 for a year's membership, but no kickboxing, salsa, jacuzzi or sauna sadly..
and the thing about working out, to lose weight, or for other reasons, is that you really have to be disciplined for it to pay off. Being obsessed with your body helps too.

A lot of the toning excersizes can be done at home with common furniture, you just need to google hard enough. And as long as the haze does not return, outdoor exercise is about as good as any cardio gym can offer (you decide on which scenery you like better ;)), of course, not paying for it means you have to be a lot more discplined to follow through. But for salsa, kickboxing, and pilate classes, jacuzi, pool, health food and the very unimportant hunky hot guys ;) ... well, that's gym territory.

ahem, firstly, joining the gym because of hunky guys is a no-no. Joining the gym because want to look gorgeous and all, not a positive motivation. Joining gym because of cheap price for 6 weeks, so-so reason la. Joining gym because of health, now that's something to route for! ;)

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Serena
  • From Malaysia
  • Currently Reading The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer, The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman, The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.
My profile

Links