The Fine Line
What is it with girls and dressing these days? I find that my patience is running thin. My tolerance running low. My anger seething fast. My disappointment runneth over. Words can only fail to describe how I feel every time I click on various blogs, only to find myself face-to-face with that fine line.
Call me conservative. Call me irrelevant. Call me insensitive. Whatever it is, that fine line is peeking out from where it should be well-hidden only to greet me so daringly.
I don't get it. Why are women baring more and more skin these days? What's worse, they're no where near being ashamed of the fact that men (and perhaps in some cases, women) all over are oggling at that vast exposure of supple skin and adipose layers. Yes, I am talking about the cleavage and what lies beneath it.
I've kept mum about this subject for a long time now. It's high time I spoke my mind. I am not pointing fingers at any person in particular. Like Aunt Chiew Har quoted recently, "Siapa makan cili, dia yang rasa pedas".
What is it with plunging necklines? I'm sure many out there would opine that I'm some kolot person who's not up-to-date with the latest vogue. But I can't help but believe that there are many gorgeous women out there who look even more attractive, covered up. By covered up, I don't necessarily mean being garbed in layers of cloth (it would be ridiculous in this hot climate!). What I mean is, to be decently dressed. Less exposure, in this case, definitely means more to me. I do remember at one point, how much I wanted to dress like "the norm". I wanted so much to be in. I wanted so much to look sophisticated and to "show off". I am not proud to admit such things but I dare say that many (not all) girls do go through some sort of that. Agree, females?
I still wear spaghetti straps, simply because there are some days when my body can't take the sweltering heat and so for practicality's sake, I wear less cloth. However, I still make sure I'm decently covered up, without showing off any fine line or fair skin in the area between my neck and my abdomen.
Most of us are pretty tolerant with how much skin we get to see on the TV a.k.a. the Idiot Box. Even I have been normalized towards seeing females trot around in barely-there pieces of cloth. It seems so normal. But what I find difficulty in getting used to is the fact that so many of our Malaysian girls are parading in such fashion too. It's not even our culture! Why the need to show off what you've got underneath your clothes? I just don't get it. Sometimes I try to reason with myself that I should be more tolerant and understanding.
Try as I may, I just can't get used to it. Maybe someone at this point is going to slap me into reality, huh? Sorry, but I'll just have to continue believing that beauty is so much more apparent, so much more alluring, when it is hidden in a sacred place, only to be revealed at the most appropriate moments. Beauty shouldn't be exhibited for every Tom, Dick or Harry to see. At this juncture, I don't even have to get started on the dresscode for clubbing. You all know the facts.
Then again, this is merely my opinion...
I just hope that females out there would make choices that reflect how much they value themselves. If they feel that they need to show more in order to be attractive, so be it. But if they come to realize that captivating beauty is so much more than that, I'd only be more than ecstatic.
Call me conservative. Call me irrelevant. Call me insensitive. Whatever it is, that fine line is peeking out from where it should be well-hidden only to greet me so daringly.
I don't get it. Why are women baring more and more skin these days? What's worse, they're no where near being ashamed of the fact that men (and perhaps in some cases, women) all over are oggling at that vast exposure of supple skin and adipose layers. Yes, I am talking about the cleavage and what lies beneath it.
I've kept mum about this subject for a long time now. It's high time I spoke my mind. I am not pointing fingers at any person in particular. Like Aunt Chiew Har quoted recently, "Siapa makan cili, dia yang rasa pedas".
What is it with plunging necklines? I'm sure many out there would opine that I'm some kolot person who's not up-to-date with the latest vogue. But I can't help but believe that there are many gorgeous women out there who look even more attractive, covered up. By covered up, I don't necessarily mean being garbed in layers of cloth (it would be ridiculous in this hot climate!). What I mean is, to be decently dressed. Less exposure, in this case, definitely means more to me. I do remember at one point, how much I wanted to dress like "the norm". I wanted so much to be in. I wanted so much to look sophisticated and to "show off". I am not proud to admit such things but I dare say that many (not all) girls do go through some sort of that. Agree, females?
I still wear spaghetti straps, simply because there are some days when my body can't take the sweltering heat and so for practicality's sake, I wear less cloth. However, I still make sure I'm decently covered up, without showing off any fine line or fair skin in the area between my neck and my abdomen.
Most of us are pretty tolerant with how much skin we get to see on the TV a.k.a. the Idiot Box. Even I have been normalized towards seeing females trot around in barely-there pieces of cloth. It seems so normal. But what I find difficulty in getting used to is the fact that so many of our Malaysian girls are parading in such fashion too. It's not even our culture! Why the need to show off what you've got underneath your clothes? I just don't get it. Sometimes I try to reason with myself that I should be more tolerant and understanding.
Try as I may, I just can't get used to it. Maybe someone at this point is going to slap me into reality, huh? Sorry, but I'll just have to continue believing that beauty is so much more apparent, so much more alluring, when it is hidden in a sacred place, only to be revealed at the most appropriate moments. Beauty shouldn't be exhibited for every Tom, Dick or Harry to see. At this juncture, I don't even have to get started on the dresscode for clubbing. You all know the facts.
Then again, this is merely my opinion...
I just hope that females out there would make choices that reflect how much they value themselves. If they feel that they need to show more in order to be attractive, so be it. But if they come to realize that captivating beauty is so much more than that, I'd only be more than ecstatic.

I agree completely... and I'm a GUY.
Posted by
Anonymous |
8:37 AM
good to hear your stand on this, um, *touchcy* issue... society might go with the "if you've got it, flaunt it mantra", but as the Good Book says, "true beauty lies within" :)
Posted by
Anonymous |
12:09 PM
Right on!
You know, many a time I've heard women complain that men are sexual predators. Well, they wouldn't be if there weren't women who had to tempt them.
In I Kissed Dating Goodbye, Josh Harris made a very good point when he said that brothers (in the Christian sense) should never think of their sisters (also in the Christian sense) i na degrading way, and that sisters should do whatever they can to guard their brother's hearts. And eyes.
And I must say, I feel utter disgust whenever Star World airs any beauty pageants. Load of crap, I say. Don't let me get started on the 'swimsuit parade' crap. ARGGH.
@ Chin_anh - Spot on! True beauty IMHO is measured by the love a person has for God. The deeper in love one is with God, the more radiant and more fragrant one gets.
Posted by
me |
6:56 PM
I totally disagree with men not being sexual predators if women weren't there to tempt them. Men may look lustfully at even a woman in a hijap. It's the man's attitude and state of mind that's to blame, not women's dressing.
A thief can't complain that the store owner advertised the expensive goods for all to see at the shop window. It's a crime, regardless.
And once again, I'm a guy.
Posted by
Anonymous |
12:15 AM
Like many of my brothers and sisters have often said to me, I now say to you:
"Speak it like it is, sister!"
*I do still visit your blog, altho uve moved. :)
Posted by
Anonymous |
3:02 AM
Oh goodness. Blogger needs identification. Its Adeline btw. Sigh, u shoulda stuck to Xanga. *wink*
Posted by
Anonymous |
3:02 AM
You do have a point there, anonymous. But the last thing they need is scantily dressed women to entice them even further.
Posted by
me |
11:24 AM
Anonymous said...
And once again, I'm a guy.
Anonymous said...
Oh goodness. Blogger needs identification. Its Adeline btw. Sigh, u shoulda stuck to Xanga. *wink*
in conclusion ... Adeline is a guy .... hahaha
I know, I'm juz asking for it ... =P
Posted by
Anonymous |
12:49 PM
Lousy shungs. I just discovered I could actually leave my name. Blame my generalised blurr-ness. *sticks out tongue*
Posted by
Anonymous |
12:53 AM
hey singularitycharged -
if you don't like beauty pagent, don't look lah. if you didn't look, you wouldn't know about what goes on right?
besides - men wouldn't be sexual predators if there weren't women who tempted them??? scantily women entice men? to do what?
your logic is flawed my friend.
although you are entitled to your opinion, please refrain from making such comments. it is offensive to women who did not do anything and yet were raped/molested/etc.
i don't mean offend you in any manner, but there's far too many cases of sexual violence for us to be insensitive to their plight.
sook
Posted by
Anonymous |
11:27 AM
hey serena...wow, so much for my 2 cents worth! sooo many ppl have opined and now i feel a lil malu-fied. but nonetheless, like i've sed b4, although i do agree with about 95% of what u've sed, the whole going-with-the-flow thing is only because of what the media potrays. and because much of the media is dominated by the american culture, what our Malaysian women see as the 'in' thing is all the things u mentioned. they call it the idiot box for a reason ya know?=) so, the way i see it, the changing-back-into-malaysian-culture is not gonna happen unless change is made in what's being shown by the media.
all this, from a mass comm major's pov. But then again, i'm really just stating the obvious, aren't i? -Nav-
Posted by
Anonymous |
10:48 PM
Cool blog you've got here... keep it up.. ;-)
(JT)
Posted by
Anonymous |
12:58 AM
A lot of christian guys i know are very quick to condemn the whole skin-baring trend, whereas other thoughts, no different from the rest of the world, develop in their minds. why? I don't know.. a defense mechanism to avoid an honest discussion about it?
heh.
my only plea to the ladies is to pause and consider the reasons/motivations behind baring more flesh when selecting a dress to buy/wear. There may be greater needs to be addressed beneath merely wanting to look good. And don't be contented with just pointing fingers at fashion, pop culture, or the media. It's always the convenient suckers who bear the (initial) brunt of our laziness to probe deeper..(we bear the eventual)
The psychology student(=P) has already pointed (indirectly) to self worth, acceptance, and insecurity. May I just add that the saddest part is that we often carry the three above for the rest of our life until we decide to face up to it and change(pun intended).
Rape, is a separate issue.
Posted by
Anonymous |
3:37 AM
agreed !!!
-cheryleong
Posted by
Anonymous |
10:22 AM
Josh Harris urged Christians of the female gender to guard their brothers' hearts and eyes.
If only they would do so.
If I have been offensive then I apologize.
But damnation to all who glorify bodily beauty above inner beauty, beauty that comes from loving the Lord.
I rest now.
Posted by
me |
4:10 PM
I don't see what is the big fuss about women and dressing. I don't think it's fair to judge girls with their dressing. Dressing is just a physical outlook of a person. Beauty is what lies within.
I completely disagree when singularitycharged comment on how women tempt men for the way they dress. Does this mean that men dictate what women can or cannot wear because men are immoral beings?
I see serena point of view... yet I think one's perception is not necessary right and judging a person from the outer look (or the way a person dress in that sense) is completely unfair..
I'm just a passer-by
Posted by
Anonymous |
5:02 PM
More often it is the need for control that drives sexual assault than it is lust.
Damnation is a strong word. I do believe it is something out of our jurisdiction.
But i do agree. Cool it with the skin baring, girls...
Posted by
Anonymous |
1:16 AM
i'm not really sure who said what by now, but I think that both sides have a point.
It isn't the woman's fault that a man gets aroused by looking at her, and she shouldn't have to be dictated as to what she can or cannot wear.
however, most men are really at the mercy of their hormones. in fact, most guys will probably tell u that the thing between their legs has a life of its own!
so it's our responsibility as women to be sensitive and 'help' our fellow brothers to be pure of heart and mind. if wearing something decent has a greater benefit for everyone, why not?
and if you yourself don't wish to be seen as a sex object, don't blame the poor fellow for seeing u as one if you continue to wear high hems and plunging necklines.
Posted by
Anonymous |
4:45 PM
Post a Comment