Eye-opener (Part 2)
Ahh, finally found some time to sit myself down to write about what my heart's been yearning to discuss with just about anyone who has an opinion on this. Please refer to yesterday's post to get the link to the articles that I'm now referring to.
When I first read the headlines on Monday's paper, my jaw literally dropped and my eyeballs nearly popped out of their sockets. I was shocked beyond shocked. Being a Psychology student, you would think that I've been exposed enough to these issues by now. I should be normalized or rather desensitized by now.
But I was not and don't think I'll ever be. Firstly, because I do hold on strongly to my personal values of right and wrong, as well as to the beliefs of my faith. I still feel very strongly against matters as such. Besides, they are supposedly Christians. So I shall speak as a Christian.
Transsexuals. Transgenders. Transvestites. Homosexuals. Bisexuals. Lesbians. Gays. And any other category in between.
My initial reaction to the marriage between the two was one of horror and anger. Naturally, I would feel strongly against such a union as it would be considered as perverse and unnatural, according to the Word of God. This is an absolute - absolutely no buts, ifs or different interpretations to what is stated in the Bible (e.g. 1 Cor 6:9,10; Leviticus 18:22; Leviticus 20:13, etc.). It is clearly wrong. I was quick to point fingers at the ministers who officiated the marriage, despite it being illegal in the eyes of the Malaysian law.
However, something different happened this time. After the anger subsided, I found myself trying to look at the matter from a different perspective. After all, the newspaper tends to exaggerate many stories; they tend to leave out the vital details of a story as they see fit and hence, the accuracy is almost always blown out of proportion. I mean, what if the bride (who used to be a male) was truly repentant before God? True, she already underwent sex reassignment surgery. But what's been done physically has been done. And so, maybe we shouldn't be so quick to judge her. We don't know what is in her heart. We don't know if she has been reconciled with God. That, I leave between her and Him.
But then again, I was quick to snap to my senses. By getting married with someone of the opposite sex, it is only nothing short of a public declaration that you pledge your life to be married to someone as man and wife. If she was truly repentant, maybe she would not have made such a public declaration of her love for another man. They are perhaps making a point to the public that they have every right to do as they wish and desire in order to attain true happiness.
And it is true that they have been given the liberty to make personal choices in life. But I do so hope that they remember that for every decision made, there is a consequence that will follow it. I sure hope that they know what they are doing and that they are walking down this path with every single sense of preparation for what is to come.
Also, I realized that if a person was truly repentant before God, he or she would also abide by the laws of the country that he or she was raised in since such laws have been constituted based on the consensus of major religions in this country. But in this couple's case, they are actually considering the option of leaving the country if their marriage is not approved by the relevant authorities. What does that speak of their decision?
Besides, marriage would also mean living out your whole life as the wife of a man - the role which is typically (or rather meant to be) played by a female. BUT she was born male. And since this isn't the way God intended it to be (according to the Bible), then it is wrong. I am not condemning the persons; but I definitely don't agree with their actions.
I know that I can appear to be quite dogmatic at times but to me, what is an absolute, stays an absolute. I choose not to be on neutral grounds when it comes to matters like these. That is, not forgetting that I am coming from the point of view (and personal conviction) that homosexuality is a choice and not a predisposition. To date, I have not come across any scientific evidence that has been able to prove that homosexuality is a genetic predisposition. If you have some, please share them with me.
Having said that, I can't decide whether I wish them all the best for their marriage. I'm not sure if that really is the best for them. And so I shall just let things be and pray that they would eventually find true joy and peace in Him. God help them...
What say you? Let the tongues roll...
When I first read the headlines on Monday's paper, my jaw literally dropped and my eyeballs nearly popped out of their sockets. I was shocked beyond shocked. Being a Psychology student, you would think that I've been exposed enough to these issues by now. I should be normalized or rather desensitized by now.
But I was not and don't think I'll ever be. Firstly, because I do hold on strongly to my personal values of right and wrong, as well as to the beliefs of my faith. I still feel very strongly against matters as such. Besides, they are supposedly Christians. So I shall speak as a Christian.
Transsexuals. Transgenders. Transvestites. Homosexuals. Bisexuals. Lesbians. Gays. And any other category in between.
My initial reaction to the marriage between the two was one of horror and anger. Naturally, I would feel strongly against such a union as it would be considered as perverse and unnatural, according to the Word of God. This is an absolute - absolutely no buts, ifs or different interpretations to what is stated in the Bible (e.g. 1 Cor 6:9,10; Leviticus 18:22; Leviticus 20:13, etc.). It is clearly wrong. I was quick to point fingers at the ministers who officiated the marriage, despite it being illegal in the eyes of the Malaysian law.
However, something different happened this time. After the anger subsided, I found myself trying to look at the matter from a different perspective. After all, the newspaper tends to exaggerate many stories; they tend to leave out the vital details of a story as they see fit and hence, the accuracy is almost always blown out of proportion. I mean, what if the bride (who used to be a male) was truly repentant before God? True, she already underwent sex reassignment surgery. But what's been done physically has been done. And so, maybe we shouldn't be so quick to judge her. We don't know what is in her heart. We don't know if she has been reconciled with God. That, I leave between her and Him.
But then again, I was quick to snap to my senses. By getting married with someone of the opposite sex, it is only nothing short of a public declaration that you pledge your life to be married to someone as man and wife. If she was truly repentant, maybe she would not have made such a public declaration of her love for another man. They are perhaps making a point to the public that they have every right to do as they wish and desire in order to attain true happiness.
And it is true that they have been given the liberty to make personal choices in life. But I do so hope that they remember that for every decision made, there is a consequence that will follow it. I sure hope that they know what they are doing and that they are walking down this path with every single sense of preparation for what is to come.
Also, I realized that if a person was truly repentant before God, he or she would also abide by the laws of the country that he or she was raised in since such laws have been constituted based on the consensus of major religions in this country. But in this couple's case, they are actually considering the option of leaving the country if their marriage is not approved by the relevant authorities. What does that speak of their decision?
Besides, marriage would also mean living out your whole life as the wife of a man - the role which is typically (or rather meant to be) played by a female. BUT she was born male. And since this isn't the way God intended it to be (according to the Bible), then it is wrong. I am not condemning the persons; but I definitely don't agree with their actions.
I know that I can appear to be quite dogmatic at times but to me, what is an absolute, stays an absolute. I choose not to be on neutral grounds when it comes to matters like these. That is, not forgetting that I am coming from the point of view (and personal conviction) that homosexuality is a choice and not a predisposition. To date, I have not come across any scientific evidence that has been able to prove that homosexuality is a genetic predisposition. If you have some, please share them with me.
Having said that, I can't decide whether I wish them all the best for their marriage. I'm not sure if that really is the best for them. And so I shall just let things be and pray that they would eventually find true joy and peace in Him. God help them...
What say you? Let the tongues roll...

I thoroughly concur
Posted by
Anonymous |
9:07 PM
haha....good to know that. John?
Posted by
Serena |
9:09 PM
it's good to know ur not quick to buy into EVERYTHING the media says...not many people are that way. And yes, I ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY agree with you in that marriage is a union of a man and woman...if God intended for homosexuality He'd have cr8ed Adam and Steve, not Eve (i know you've heard this line a gazillion times but there really is no better way to put it). Even if Steve had underwent a major operation to BECOME Eve. Yep, no way and no how.
Posted by
Anonymous |
9:17 PM
I once watched a movie on the life of Professor Kinsey, the man who did research on sex in America during the 1950s (some time there). His research showed that a majority of homosexuals are the way they are because of incidents that happen to them when they are young, and most cases are because they were sexually abused by older people. Another main reason is because they just give in to lust and their emotions without caring about what GOD says. So yes i agree with you, they are homos by choice, not genetically. The fact that "she" underwent a sex change and accept the way "she" is already shows she's not repentant. I wish they would promote a campaign to say NO! to homosexuality, cause its just so wrong and disgusting.
Posted by
. |
12:09 AM
Everyone has a right to make their own choices. I do not know and will not claim to know what marriage is in the Christian context.
(American)However i do know that homosexual couples are not given the same rights as heterosexual couples, even if they are married.
Basically, i do not care what they call their union, as long as they are given the same rights as heterosexual couples. (/American)
For our country though, they made a choice and the choice is wrong in the eyes of their country. Basically, they broke a law, although i do think it is not a law we should have, since marriage is not all based on the religions.
Feel free to correct me here. Reading the verses you put out, (thanks by the way, i have been wondering where in the Bible it says that) i would say it is wrong in their religion as well.
They made a choice and it is against what they are supposed to believe in. Picking out bits and pieces you like and supports you in a religion, in my opinion is just wrong. And knowing what little i do now about their wedding and religion, it certainly looks to me like this is what they are doing.
Enlighten me on their situation again?
Summing
1) I am not against homosexuals.
2) It is punishable in this country and can be protested in other ways.
3) I do not know enough about their current situation.
Posted by
Anonymous |
1:50 AM
My girl friend, I agree with you in every way. We shouldn't be quick to judge for it is not for us to do so. Yet, as Christians, those pastors should be ashamed of themselves for they have not been living according to God's will. And yes, by them making it public, shows that they are not repentant. It is a big NO No!
Posted by
andrea |
9:09 AM
What a coincidence, this week we had a few on-campus representatives from the Gay-straight-lesbian alliance to talk and answer questions in Human Sexuality class..I was amazed at how some of them actually got married,had kids (reminds me of Ross' wife in FRIENDS) and then suddenly 'realise' that they were miserable and only found comfort when they were with the same sex. I did ask them whether they think homosexuality is a "learned behavior or something biological" but i didnt get a very satisfying answer. From their point of view, some of them just knew that they were attracted to the same sex-(as naturally as how heterosexuals get attracted to each other)...yup, that's some of the interesting facts we found through the discussion. On a personal note, i share the same view as you do, but at the same time, i'm also baffled if it's a 'learned' or 'genetic' thing.
MiKi
Posted by
Anonymous |
1:26 PM
But at the same time, i do wonder if the Bible would explain hermaphrodism (born with both external & internal male & female sex organs..as well as those who have hormonal abnomalities (eg. DHT deficiency)..because at this point, they're biogically determined....hmm...
MiKi
Posted by
Anonymous |
1:37 PM
inserena said: Also, I realized that if a person was truly repentant before God, he or she would also abide by the laws of the country that he or she was raised in since such laws have been constituted based on the consensus of major religions in this country.
....does that mean i can't watch fake DVD's too?
p/s: was smiling the whole time i was reading the post because i could SOOO imagine you and I having a conversation about it and you being all passionate! CAn't wait to see you...1 more WEEk!!!!
Posted by
Anonymous |
9:04 PM
Earlier in college, you said, "I know how to fix this, if the man..." then you stopped. What was the full sentence ar?
Posted by
Anonymous |
1:07 AM
lol... if the man wat serena? the man man or the man woman? man woman got something missing liao so cannot do much...;p
Nyways, good post... if not in the context of religion or laws, those homoflers are really irresponsible and non filial (is tht how u spell it?)
Waste their parents rice money. bring them up into educated man and man and they wana do the honkey tonk together.
sigh... like an old chinese proverb saying:
"give birth to a piece of charsiew aso better than give birth to you..." or was it something i learn from the tv?=)
Posted by
siah |
9:15 AM
You are right, and in such situations, I would have reacted similarly yet responded almost similarly - that, cos I'm not as erm... good as you when choosing the right words to present my ideas. :D Romans 1:26 talks about it. I love you Serena. :D
Posted by
Amkayell |
9:08 PM
makes me wonder.. if this marriage is wrong (and we as Christians know it *is*, being backed up with so many Biblical evidences,etc..) how can the couple actually rectify their mistake? It's kinda a Hobson's choice for them cause they've gone considerably overboard, in my opinion. No doubt, God's mercy, forgiveness and grace is over-abounding in all aspects. But if Jessie were be a man again, I doubt he'll (she'll?) be able to fit into society. And since they're married, a divorce would mean another law to break... Just typing out my thoughts.
P.s. You're an inspiring leader. Keep the faith and continue shining for God!
Posted by
Flo |
10:35 AM
They always say "Let he without sin cast the first stone"
Then again, if we see that whole thing in context...
Posted by
Anonymous |
5:25 PM
A chinese philosopher NinLaoBe once said:
"Gays de rens yao gei di yi fan xie diu sian"
Posted by
Anonymous |
1:32 AM
I don't think it is fair to have a judgemental attitude towards the union of these two people. I understand in the religious aspect, it is wrong...very wrong.....but who are we to judge them when we haven't been in their situation? (especially Jessie's situation)Perhaps when one's gone through that experience, then one can really judge them ;)
Posted by
mythsn_legends |
12:45 PM
Just tot in addition to Sherman's blog you may want to join in the conversation here too:
http://theagora.blogspot.com/2005/11/sex-change.html#comments
Jack
Posted by
Anonymous |
11:41 PM
Just tot in addition to Sherman's blog you may want to join in the conversation here too:
http://theagora.blogspot.com/2005/11/sex-change.html#comments
Jack
Posted by
Anonymous |
11:44 PM
Post a Comment