Of Christmas and Cheesecakes
Today is Christmas eve. I am at home, down with a pretty bad throat and a runny nose. Oh well, what better than to do the simple: rest at home. Those who know me well, know that this is what I truly long for, after such a hectic all-year round. =)
Warning: it will be a long post.
Hmm...since the end of the year is approaching and I won't be able to have much time for personal reflection, might as well do it now.
Christmas this year sure has a different flavor. I'm starting to think I am quite commercialized. I used to think that Christmas would only be enjoyable and meaningful if there was a big feast, lots and lots of presents. Yup, it's all about the presents, right Sook? Hehe....
Every time I turn on the radio to hear the deejay joyously wishing everyone to have a merry Christmas and yadda yadda, I stop to think about what Christmas means to me. Like my wise friend once said, shouldn't we be celebrating Christ's birth all year round? But many would differ with me on this ground. So, I take Christmas as a time to commemorate His birth, but not as a must to do this or that.
I mean, for instance the practice of giving presents. I normally give presents also because I find it an excellent opportunity to thank friends and family members for all that they've been to me, as well as to just bless them because I want to. But if I don't receive any presents from them, it doesn't make my Christmas any less. Because, as time goes by, I find that many times I am really obligated to give people presents, if not, they would be hurt or offended. Sounds fairly childish, but this is really what is happening.
Rather, I've found that it is such a joy to give to someone who isn't able to give back. Nowadays, I've discovered the delight of blessing people anonymously. So much more fun this way! But at this rate, I really have to starve and ikat perut for the next 2 months to make up for how much I've spent this Christmas. Terrible, all these commercialism. I am spending so much merely because it is Christmas. Hmph. Right or not?
Anyways, looking back at this year....it has been yet another year of ups and downs. Some ups are really great Ups and some downs have been terrible Downs. Nevertheless, I am grateful for the faithfulness and grace of my beloved God and Savior! But "time really flies" and that has got to be the most often-mentioned phrase of the year. But it does! So, the only way for me to appreciate life is to really not take a second for granted.
Man, next year I'll be turning 22 already. Truly an adult. I miss those times of being plain girly and childish. Today, I look at the younger ones in fond memory of the good times I had with my own bunch of gal pals. I really loved how we used to let go and go wild! Haha...I still do, in my own way...but only in private. Times have changed la. And we've all grown up and some, older. Hehe.
As you can tell, my thoughts are so disorganized today and so I shall stop here la.
Oh yah, I think I better think twice before making the next cheesecake. Apparently, it caused a lot of strife among my family members. They were fighting over the bigger share of the cake. Hehe...now, as the baker, isn't that pleasant news?
I had stayed over at my oldest (and closest) friend's house for the night and the next day after that. Came home to an empty cake tin. Oh well, too bad I didn't get to taste it for myself. Nevermind, there is always next time. =)
Blessed Christmas!
Warning: it will be a long post.
Hmm...since the end of the year is approaching and I won't be able to have much time for personal reflection, might as well do it now.
Christmas this year sure has a different flavor. I'm starting to think I am quite commercialized. I used to think that Christmas would only be enjoyable and meaningful if there was a big feast, lots and lots of presents. Yup, it's all about the presents, right Sook? Hehe....
Every time I turn on the radio to hear the deejay joyously wishing everyone to have a merry Christmas and yadda yadda, I stop to think about what Christmas means to me. Like my wise friend once said, shouldn't we be celebrating Christ's birth all year round? But many would differ with me on this ground. So, I take Christmas as a time to commemorate His birth, but not as a must to do this or that.
I mean, for instance the practice of giving presents. I normally give presents also because I find it an excellent opportunity to thank friends and family members for all that they've been to me, as well as to just bless them because I want to. But if I don't receive any presents from them, it doesn't make my Christmas any less. Because, as time goes by, I find that many times I am really obligated to give people presents, if not, they would be hurt or offended. Sounds fairly childish, but this is really what is happening.
Rather, I've found that it is such a joy to give to someone who isn't able to give back. Nowadays, I've discovered the delight of blessing people anonymously. So much more fun this way! But at this rate, I really have to starve and ikat perut for the next 2 months to make up for how much I've spent this Christmas. Terrible, all these commercialism. I am spending so much merely because it is Christmas. Hmph. Right or not?
Anyways, looking back at this year....it has been yet another year of ups and downs. Some ups are really great Ups and some downs have been terrible Downs. Nevertheless, I am grateful for the faithfulness and grace of my beloved God and Savior! But "time really flies" and that has got to be the most often-mentioned phrase of the year. But it does! So, the only way for me to appreciate life is to really not take a second for granted.
Man, next year I'll be turning 22 already. Truly an adult. I miss those times of being plain girly and childish. Today, I look at the younger ones in fond memory of the good times I had with my own bunch of gal pals. I really loved how we used to let go and go wild! Haha...I still do, in my own way...but only in private. Times have changed la. And we've all grown up and some, older. Hehe.
As you can tell, my thoughts are so disorganized today and so I shall stop here la.
Oh yah, I think I better think twice before making the next cheesecake. Apparently, it caused a lot of strife among my family members. They were fighting over the bigger share of the cake. Hehe...now, as the baker, isn't that pleasant news?
I had stayed over at my oldest (and closest) friend's house for the night and the next day after that. Came home to an empty cake tin. Oh well, too bad I didn't get to taste it for myself. Nevermind, there is always next time. =)
Blessed Christmas!

merry and blessed christmas, may the year to come be even better then the one before. seek ye first the kingdom and with faith and obedience all things will work for His glory, and indeed you shall be blessed manyfolds =)
oh and do remember to smile more
Posted by
Anonymous |
1:49 PM
Post a Comment