It all boils down to motives

What with Christmas just around the corner, I can't help but ponder on some thoughts...
Why do we do the things we do?
Even prior to joining the cast for Christmas, I had to ask myself that very question. I had to be very honest with myself. No doubt, I have always had a personal passion for drama and theatre...just that I seldom get the opportunity to cultivate that side of my personal interests. Or rather, other things in life have taken precedence.
So when I heard that YC was going to take the presentation this year, I jumped at the chance. Who knows when would be the next opportunity and besides, I may already be older by then. Haha. The past two times when YC was involved, I was facing both SPM and STPM, respectively, so I couldn't, unfortunately for me.
Practices have been nothing short of intensive, in my opinion. And there's this sense of freedom that seems to birth everytime I push myself to get out of my skin and pretend to be something I am not. I am not one who was born with a flair for singing, dancing or acting. And so when they get me to exaggerate my expressions and movements, to act 'giggly' and do all those things I am not, I experience a strong sense of discomfort.
However, I have been enjoying myself tremendously throughout the works. Despite the painful sacrifices that had to be made and sometimes I even got myself in trouble with my studies, I would gladly say that it's worth it. But then again, it's easy for people like me to claim something like that because, in all honesty, I am onstage. By being onstage, our efforts and hard work will be seen. It is without a doubt that all the performers onstage would stand out more significantly than the others. I am obviously stating the obvious. =)
But at one point a few months back, I can't help but ask myself this very question, 'Would I be able to be just as enthusiastic if I were playing a different role than the one given to me?'
I could not proceed further till I had settled some issues in my heart. And so I did.
But you know what I truly respect and admire out all of the practices? Rather, who I really take my hat off to?
It's the people who are offstage. Of course, it's always about the show. It's always about whether the people onstage are doing a good job. But what about those other people who are equally committed, if not more, who have made tons of sacrifices to play their various roles in this whole presentation? Without them, truly there wouldn't be a show. They too put in as much effort and time into coming practices, if not more, than some people onstage.
So what keeps them going?
It really is all about having a good attitude. At the end of the day, everyone has to realize the significance of their roles. True, in the eyes of humans, some people would definitely get more credit and more recognition than others. Let's be honest, who wouldn't want others to sing praises of them?
Ultimately, I guess, it really isn't about what you do. Easier said than done, isn't it? Sometimes I just observe the backstage crew running about, trying their utmost best to manage everything and basically keeping everything backstage, smooth-sailing. I see them breaking out in sweat and distress, and sometimes I wish I could just run up to them and give them a huge bear hug. Of course, that wouldn't be too wise eh, considering most of them are males. Haha... Even just hearing the beautiful rendition of songs coming from the choir, is enough for a surge of pride to fill my heart - so proud that they have come so far, after all the hours of exercising their vocal chords!
Here's a huge cheer and one of my biggest applauds to all the people who in their various roles, make things happen, without necessarily being onstage - choir, soundcrew, multimedia crew, backstage crew, musicians, kulis, etc. And best of all, they don't mind not taking the credit. Ahh, but no doubt, their rewards are way greater than what meets the human eye. At least, I am sure of that...
Haha...ok ok, back to studying. SIGH.

I love your acting and dancing !! It totally Roxs la.. The Zorro Movie too haha..it So COOL!!!
=D=D .. All the best on the real DAY !
HUGss!!* (^^,)"
Posted by
Anonymous |
12:32 AM
ya man..Serena's famous.Anyway, it was a really good post..why we do the things we do ya?
All the best for later n fri.muaks!
-val-
Posted by
Anonymous |
1:01 AM
Wow, i finally get to see Serena performing, LIVE-i never got to back in school and the closest i got to was a vcd (Serena, think Seasons 1999). In reply to ur question on why we do the things we do (in terms of performing onstage), the way i see it, i think it's coz we love performing for others to see and when we enjoy what we do, it shows in the acting/singing/dancing. I see it as a way of blessing others with my talent; entertaining them. and if it's or a good cause, y not? i mean, this isn't just any play; it's a CHRISTMAS play so all the more a blessing, if u get what i mean. And abt the backstage crew, yeah i totally agree man! you know I've always wanted to be backstage playing with lights and the sound system, but mostly the lights=) But I never got the chance to. I think backstage is where the REAL action is and it's fun. I actually ENJOY the intensity and the last minute "oh no, the mic number3 is out. What we do???" stuff. Weird i know but i like it. so if i was put onstage or offstage in a production, i'd be just as enthusiastic. and yeah, there is in fact a sense of freedom in playing pretend. Acting allows you to explore ur other "personalities"; totally understand waht you mean. So hang in there, i know tmr's ur last paper (all the best for that) and trust me. Every time the curtain falls and you bow to thsnk the audience, you WILL be proud and you will probably find an answer to ur question (besides the motive thing la). Man, this was a long comment....sorry:)
Posted by
Anonymous |
9:39 PM
oh, and that extremely long comment was from me, Navee=)
Posted by
Anonymous |
9:40 PM
You er... You forgot to mention all your friends and "fans" that support you out there. Lol.
SERENA RAWX!!!
Posted by
Anonymous |
1:45 AM
Post a Comment