« Home | Of Christmas and Cheesecakes » | Half-way everything » | Another short one » | » | On a mission » | Freedom is the song that I sing » | It all boils down to motives » | Dealing with disappointment » | Calculus and me: a no-no. =( » | In-between studying »

Of holiday-ing

My mind tells me that I am refreshed, relaxed and rejuvenated.

My body tells me otherwise. I am a threat to the ecosystem. I am using up tissues faster than I can say, "Ah-choo!" Yes, for those who saw me at camp, I am still sniffing today. I thought I had gotten rid of it but looks like I thought wrong. And the flu bug has come back with a revenge. My phlegm even comes out in my ultimate favorite color. Eeyew. My parents have been trying to drag me to the doctor's but I, being stronger than a bull, have managed to resist whatever efforts to get me there. And I won. Yay! I just hate going to the doctor's. =P

Anyways, let me reflect on what I have been doing so far during the hols:

Christmas-ing
Those were the days of slogging for practices and crazy hours. But I loved every bit of 'em. I miss them already. For those of you college mates who couldn't make it, you better get a VCD/DVD copy! Or, or...I'll point a knife to your throat. Haha... All in all, I thank God for the success of the entire production. I believe all the effort was worth it for those lives that were touched and blessed by it.

Shopping. How I love and hate it. It's a love-hate relationship, I tell you. I love getting things for people I love and appreciate. But I hate how it involves so much hard work, trying to think of what to get for them, how I have to go to the ATM and literally rob my ownself in order to get those dollar bills out. But again, it is all worth it. But I admit that I have been suckered into commercialism when it comes to getting presents for people during Christmas time. Oh well, so long as these special people are happy, I guess. =)

Camp-ing
You know that you are really starting to get old when you absolutely have no drive whatsoever to get involved in games. That you don't even bother opening the camp manual other than to look through the schedule. Additionally, I didn't even bother getting a single person's contact details and neither did I bother getting anyone's autograph. Vice-versa. Hmmm... I guess, I've come to a point where all I think about when it comes to camp is about what I am getting from God and what is He trying to teach me. Everything else really is secondary. I found myself enjoying the company of a tableful of 13-year-olds, nonetheless, for that one blessed lunch session. I have to state one thing though, I think that the younger generation is getting so much more better looking! Do you agree? Seriously, all these younger kids are just getting so handsome and pretty! Well, maybe it's a good thing coz by the time I have my own kids, they'd be absolutely gorgeous! Oh yeah! =) As for the spiritual aspect of camp, that I shall leave for private viewing only as the details are very personal. In a nutshell, God rocked my world!

Fly-ing
I realize now that I do have a phobia of flying. It never existed till only a few years back. But everytime I get on the plane, I'd almost suffer silent panic attacks and I'd literally imagine the plane crashing right before my very eyes. And so, I figured that the only way to get over the fear is to face the fear. And so when I nearly cancelled the trip due to intense fear of what could happen, I literally forced myself to go for the trip. And thank God I did. Coz I sure had a good time.

It was funny how almost every person that I got acquainted with asked me the same question, "Why did you choose to come to Sabah?" My reply was that I was looking for a quiet holiday, away from the hustle and bustle of city life. And so it didn't matter whether I went to a place without much buzz and happenings, I just want to rest. Besides, I've always wanted to see the land of Sabah. I've been to Sarawak a few times already. And rest I did, in addition to the various places that I visited. Will post up pictures soon.

God is so good. He always rewards and blesses me when I least expected it. Guess what? My entire trip was sponsored by a kind friend. I didn't spend a single cent and still managed to come home with a few souvenir items for my family. My wallet was starting to get mouldy from abandonment. And I sure didn't have to starve. I was so well fed that my waistline has benefitted the most from all the prawns, crabs, fish, pork and just about all the rich food you can think of. Desserts were the ultimate killer! My cheeks spell prosperity now. Haha.

Being a victim of match-making
Have you ever been matchmade? Or rather mismatched? I shall not mention when or where it happened, but let's say that poor me has been an unfortunate victim of tireless efforts by a few friends to matchmake me with someone. Not just anyone, but an older guy. Not just any older guy, but an older guy of at least a decade or more!

I guess I should take it as a compliment that they should think that I am mature enough for that guy. But I have to say that I've never felt so betrayed in my entire life! My friends were smart. They didn't do it overtly. They subtly brought me and the guy out, without any hints here and there. But me having an observant nose, smelled something fishy.

True enough, I confirmed my suspicion when the guy treated me to lunch with just two other friends. But throughout the entire lunch, conversation only took place between me and him. The other two conveniently stayed as silent as mice throughout, giving the excuse that they were tired. Yeah right, they were tired. The ultimate clincher would have to be when I was asked about my future plans concerning my studies and career pathway. The look that the guy gave when I told him that I would take a couple more years to finish up my studies before I can finally practise psychology, was a dead giveaway. What was worse was how my friend tried convinving me that many of her aunties married guys way older than themselves and how they ended up so blissfully. Yikes! *panic alert*

Thank God, I played it completely neutral, not obliging in anyway, and hopefully whatever hopes that they gave him, were crushed. If not, I'll make sure that they are. Why, you ask me? I don't know...my friends used to ask me what was the limit for me personally when it comes to age. I think, realistically speaking, for now, it would have to be 7-8 years older and maybe, 1-2 years younger. But then again, life isn't rigid and who knows, what would happen in the future?

But as for now, I am terrified from this experience because I am sure I do not want to date a guy as old as my eldest brother. I mean, if the guy constantly hangs out with younger people and he himself looks young, I guess then, it may not be such a huge issue. But nah, I'd much rather not.

So dear friends, PLEASE do not matchmake me with anyone in the future, at least not without my knowledge or permission. I truly believe that God is the ultimate matchmaker. And I also believe that the choice is ultimately ours. So, thanks for the thought, but err...let me do the choosing myself ok?

you never cease to amuse me with your posts, serena =) do consider hosting a talk show in the future.. you can be like our malaysian oprah.

hope 2006'll be filled with experiences just as delightful and meaningful as those you had last year! god bless

OH no!!! You're still suffering effects of me?! Arghhh..how ler.. Never mind, at least you know I'm near you eh?

waiting to see pics.. having 2 tests in the next 2 days.. pray for me year?

email me about the 'mismatch' incident k?

-laura-

now i know yours can be as cute as a button, but an observant nose??

not only cute, but funny, if in a spaz sorta way.

can't wait to see ya fri!

before you stab me then, are you gonna be in college on Friday? I can buy the VCD/DVD from you then =P

Thank God no one thought of match making me just yet.

Markus: Hey! long time no see and hear! How's life over there? Haven't had time to visit your site. and msian oprah? Hmm, dunno whether I'm up to her standard. She's smart. She knows how to meet the needs of various levels of society and that's why people love her. Yup, I am already looking forward to what 2006 has in store for me. Happy New Year to you too!

Laura: I don't think it's from you anymore. Coz now it's more the flu than the throat? It kinda shifted. My mum has now resorted to scolding me about not seeing the doc. =(

Joy: thanks a lot for the "spaz" compliment. Hah. And it was a surprise seeing you just now. Hey, don't make fun of my nose and my lips ok. I happen to love them just as they are! =P See ya this Fri!

Ephez: I don't think I need to be in college on Fri since everything can be done online now, right? But maybe I might pop by since people like Katrina and all wanna see me. As for the VCDs, not sure if they are out by now. I have to order them beforehand and I haven't been to church for a week. Will get back to you about it. Btw, decided whether you going to Otago or not?

Val: I want to see u..hehe!

no need see doctor for this kinda things la ... waste time and money only ... haha

=( O well, i have to come back sometime next week as well anyways, to make sure i can transfer to Otago safely.

huh??? no no no, i think you salah faham.

i meant your nose IS as cute as a button. and THEN i said, you weren't only cute, but also spaz-funny because you said your nose was observant laaaa.

hellooo, like would i EVER say something mean about you?

Val: your wish is my command, ma'am. unfortunately, i am not well. Next week ok? MUAKS!

Shungz: btw, i'm using your word to convince my parents! haha.... But i am not getting better la. I think maybe I really should just "waste time and money". =P

Ephez: Wow! you get to go to Otago! How wonderful! Happy for you! Yup, see you around in college when you drop by then.

Joy: Sorry about last night. Body retaliating. I shall see you. Hah...and of course you would say mean things to me. I am, after all, very bully-able what (in Sheen's words...)! =P

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Serena
  • From Malaysia
  • Currently Reading The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer, The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman, The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.
My profile

Links