« Home | Stay tuned » | #7: Finishing Strong » | Spring Cleaning » | I am woman » | #3: The Kitchen God's Wife » | #2: Sisterchicks on the Loose » | #1: The Forget-Me-Not Sonata » | On Holidaying » | What have I been up to? » | Accountability works »

Holidaying + Working = Holidaying


Hahaha....

I just realized how long I've not been here. I think this is where I really love the hols because I get to be totally irresponsible with regards to this blog! Heheh...so many complaints from friends who care. The others just shake their heads. I love it! =)

Well, I just finished a 6-day stint at an events management company and had to play the role of telemarketer.

S.U.F.F.E.R.I.N.G.

I don't know why I actually did it because I distinctively remember telling people that I would NEVER do telemarketing again in my life. Remember our brief time at Asia Marketing Intelligence, Sheen? The only hour we would all look forward to was lunch time and even then, we once dragged it to 2 hours because we went shopping in Mid Valley, instead of going back to work. Hahaha.... The only reason why I said yes this time, was because the new semester was about to start and the money would come in handy for all the stuff that my uni tries to con me into getting/paying.

All in all, had a good time brushing up on communication skills, especially with people who never heard of the word goodbye or obviously suffer from some sort of hand spasm so much so that they can't hold the phone receiver for long and have to let it slam down on its own. I don't even want to get started on how inefficient some multinational companies are. It is such a shame, really, to have a name and yet not be able to live up to it. I take my hat off to those humble, smaller companies with CEOs who bothered to thank me and some even had time to chat and joke with me, but mostly, treated me with respect.

At this juncture, I just wanna say that perseverance really pays off la. Although I was paid per hour, we had a target number of successful calls to make in a day. This person here had a grand total of ZERO on the first day and almost on the second day. It was the last 5 minutes of Day 2 that I finally got ONE successful respondent. Thank God. And it was a precious ONE, I tell you. I even did a little victory dance. Kekeke....

My fellow colleagues complained that they only had 2 or 3. But they couldn't complain when they saw that I had none for almost 2 days. I told myself not to give up la while the rest of the others were walking on cloud 9. After all, you never know when the road would take a bend right? Guess what? On my last day, I got a total of 12 whereas most of my other colleagues either got one or none. So, looks like the persistence finally paid off la. Hehe...

Another plus would be that I met this really sweet girl with fair skin and rapunzel-like hair (at this point, I can already sense some guy friends are going to ask to be introduced) who happened to stay in the same neighbourhood as me. In addition, we have so much in common although we are as different as can be when it comes to our personality types. Isn't it amazing how God takes care of such details, sometimes? If not for her, my time at that company would have been quite unbearable. But having found a companion, whose friendship I'd like to maintain, is such a blessing! People who just met us thought that we were best friends from long ago. Haha...

Anyways, my longest holiday of the year is almost coming to an end. I really savoured every bit this time. Now, just to catch up on some more reading.

All I can say is that,

I THANK GOD THAT I AM STILL STUDYING!

no need the intro.. how about telling me where you live ;) hope work was good!

hey, working woman! hehe. Good to see you survived. Serena, i totally have high regards for ppl who work as telemarketers coz that's one job i will NEVER and mean NEVER do! but u seem to have done not to badly. Anyways, did u get anither haircut? u looked different when i ran into u at church. you looked stellar actually=)

They live in Taman *muffled by pillow". Rapunzel-like? 89 feet long, golden and straight! I rather see a picture of the hair!

fuuuuh...you looked stellar!!!!!!LOL!!!!!!!

terry: jealous that you don't? =P

ephez: of coz it's not that long la...but it sure is long for modern standards. =)

navee: heya...hope work is good for u too! i'm quite excited abt the new sem! =)

raam: how are u, genius? will miss having u guys around la...

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Serena
  • From Malaysia
  • Currently Reading The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer, The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman, The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.
My profile

Links