« Home | My favourite 23 moments » | 6 into 2007 » | The 365th Day » | Worth Talking About » | A miracle in the making! » | Snippets » | Thank you, babe » | To The One » | Post-wedding » | Finally the first! »

In 10 years' time...

I took MC yesterday. I'm not feeling very well either today but I forced myself out of bed to drive in a state of grogginess to my workplace.

It appears as though my body has been slightly weaker this past few months as compared to before. I am not surprised as I have been abusing it severely by depriving myself of sleep - a necessity. Out of all the common sense I have, this is one I sure don't practise very much.

Anyhow, it occurred to me, that there is one benefit to being sick. For me, it is when I realize and remember that life is so fragile. Amidst all the 1001 things and errands which we all have to do, there is a limit to how much we can do. Furthermore, it hit me that in 10 years' time, none of these "things" will matter very much, would they?

And so I tell myself, to take stock of what matters the most to me - relationships with people. In fact, this whole week, in various conversations with important people in my life, this same topic has been brought to attention only too many times. This is surely a reminder straight to my face!

And so when I am feeling under the weather, with my body still struggling to fight the virus that has brought about the sore throat and the on and off fever, it is then such simple truths are brought to life for me. It is when my body is weak, that I remember about the mortality of life. I realize now that there needs to be a restructuring of priorities in my life.

Time on earth is so short. Don't we forget that sometimes? We often live our lives as if there's gonna be a forever on earth. But the fact is, there isn't. Our lives on earth will end one day, and for most, it will come very unexpectedly.

And so I ask myself, "What am I living for?"

My career? To have a prosperous future and making a name for myself?

Or, is it to be known as the faithful servant who walked with the Master?

Looking back the past 10 years, the many million things that used to bother me or consumed so much of my time and energy, actually don't seem so significant anymore. And I don't think it's because things seem that way all because you are looking at it in hindsight. Rather, I think it's because they are just that - insignificant.

Having this in mind, does my heart hold on only to things that are temporal but won't matter any more in 10 years' time?

Or do I long for things that are more permanent? For eternity, perhaps?

We all know it. But has it become personal truth for us?

About me

  • I'm Serena
  • From Malaysia
  • Currently Reading The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer, The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman, The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.
My profile

Links